Thursday, October 4, 2012

Rants, Pep Talks, and Random September Pictures.....

I like September....there are so many cool things going on.  Birthdays, our anniversary, starting to see fall decor, football and late season baseball, etc......I also know that September is one of the times that I feel like I need a staple gun to keep my head on as we get used to new routines.....get the kids (and us) used to homework and reading every night, squeeze in cub scouts den meetings and pack meetings and committee meetings, dinner, my two graveyards, sleep, home/visiting teaching, Science projects, Jason's EldersQ duties and extra/overtime work days, making what feels like 500 phone calls, helping with projects for the school, and all the random time-consuming tasks that pop up on a never-ending basis.  Running to the store late at night to get Cream of Tartar for salt dough that is due the next day at school.  On Library day, doing a mad dash looking for the library books that have been around all week only to have them seemingly disappear into thin air when they need to go back.  
This list could go on and on and on some more.
Then we get to Guilt.  Feeling guilt every day.  We simply can't do everything....we have to say no and skip some things....there were 15 reasons that we couldn't do it....still, I know that 10 year old wanted to go to the fall carnival and I don't like seeing him disappointed.  Saying no to being on a PTA committee.  Not taking Grady to the special play-date at the fabulous park in Kaysville.  We haven't driven up the mountain to look at the fall leaves yet.  I read books with Jerrett but not Grady.  I have no more time off and pinewood derby is on a night that I work.  My kids never get enough vegetables.  Jerrett needs a new bike and I just haven't gotten around to going and getting one. Guilt about losing my enthusiasm for being in cub scouts.  I didn't exercise and I ate crappy food (again).  Jason would never complain and he's so incredibly helpful but I wish he never had to come home to a messy house.  Guilt for being a mom who sometimes has to sleep a little in the daytime.  Guilt for not doing enough with our families.

There are many others who I know are even far busier than I am.  I don't have the personality to thrive being ultra-busy....that is one thing I have learned.  
Another thing I've learned: feelings of being overwhelmed come and go in phases.  There are many times when I feel engaged and really fulfilled.  Times when it's easier to remember that we have happy kids who indeed ARE having a great childhood.  Times when I can easily just go with the flow and not stress about the little things.  Times when it's easier to realize that we are all just going along doing the best that we can at the moment and that IT'S ALL OK.

It's a pattern for me to feel really overwhelmed toward the beginning of the school year.  I absolutely look forward to melting into the bliss of fall and the holidays.  So yes, this is totally a rant but a pep-talk for myself all in one.  It feels good. :)

Some random Pictures from September in random order:

Grady following the big kids home from school with his wagon.  He is desperately trying to get someone to ride in his wagon....so cute.

 Finally Jerrett will ride and Grady is very pleased.

 Jason using Grandpa Coon's smoker that my mom and dad gave him.  He loves it!

 Some of our cub scouts checking out the Hooper Veterans Memorial area.  It's really nice and they loved playing on the restored naval deck guns.

 I went to Reno for 4 days for an education conference to get continuing education credits I need for my credential at work.  I did learn but I also had to do a little bit of doodling a few times. :)


 When I was really fighting a sickness these little boys made a Thomas train in the backyard and filled each "Car" (chair) with toys, books, bikes, flower pots, etc.  They had to take advantage of me being totally wiped out and less bossy. :)  It was pretty cute!

 Jason smoking some ribs and brisket on a Sunday.

 He loves the special "acasions" and we are the best people he knows?! Absolutely the best card I have ever recieved.  Man I love this kid.  He is so incredibly awesome.

 I finally made it on TV. :)


 My first time using a tiny cocktail fork....totally called for a picture. :)


 Spending afternoons with Grady is really cool.  He convinced me to sit and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with him before we played in the backyard.

 How Grady dressed himself to play in the rain. 

 Glad the Sorenson's don't mind Grady trying to color their entire driveway. :)

Shopping at Sportsman's Warehouse together on Labor Day. 

Me heading for the spa. I booked myself at Spa Toscana one of the evenings in Reno and also got the longest and most relaxing pedicure ever....so glad I did it, the whole night was wonderful.

Me and a few co-workers (Barbie, Natalie, Chad, and Josh) at the conference in Reno...plus my cute new Reno watch.

2 comments:

granny/Lynda said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't pick my favorite picture! This post is sooo awesome...DeAnna,,YOU are AWESOME... I love what you wrote at the beginning. All women, wives and mothers feel the same way! We are all on a journey and you girl, are making the most of your's!

Those boys and that husband of yours ADORE you! I ADORE YOU~~

Loved the note Austin wrote you! PRICELESS~~
We have a note Austin made us on our bathroom door when he was 5 yrs old that says "GRANNYS AND GRANDPAS". He was trying to tell us to stay out of the "boys" bathroom at the other end of our home. He even cut around his writing with scissors and it's so cute and crooked. The "sign" has been on our bathroom door since he put it there.

I have many notes that Jason wrote to me and I LOVE re-reading them...His sense of humor started from birth~~

Grady dressed for rain was a darling picture and cute Jerrett rode in Grady's wagon. Love those boys!! You are so blessed and I am so blessed because of YOU~~

lhhadley said...

I am pretty sure your normal by being overwhelmed at not getting everything done. I think it is just part of the Mom title. Just so you know, my kids don't eat enough veggies either, I will probably never be on the PTA anything, I need to read to my kids more and exercise more too:) You are a great Mom De! Yay for your get away trip. We need to plan a get away weekend with Kristy instead of just a all nighter:)